Witan Scrabble Word Score, Definitions + More
Love word games? Check the definition and popular synonyms of witan. Find all the anagrams, permutations and unscrambles of witan. We also have lists of Words that end with witan, and words that start with witan.
What is witan? What does witan mean?
witan is usually defined as (Old English) a member of the Anglo-Saxon council, the witenagemot
Witan is an Old English term that means "council" or "meeting of wise men." It was used in Anglo-Saxon England to refer to the council of nobles and clergy who advised the king on matters of governance and policy. The witan was made up of the most influential and powerful members of society, and was responsible for making decisions on matters such as war, law, taxation, and the appointment of bishops and other officials. The witan was a key institution in early medieval England, and played an important role in shaping the country's political, social, and religious landscape.
Examples Using witan in a sentence
- The king called a meeting of the witan to discuss the proposed tax increase.
- The witan advised the king to form an alliance with the neighboring kingdom to strengthen their military position.
- The witan was divided on the issue of succession, with some members supporting the king's eldest son and others favoring a more distant relative.
- The witan played a crucial role in the conversion of England to Christianity, with many members of the council embracing the new religion and promoting its spread throughout the country.
- The witan met regularly to discuss matters of state, and its decisions were binding on all the people of England.
- The witan was a powerful institution that could challenge the authority of the king if necessary, and was often called upon to mediate disputes between different factions in the royal court.
- The members of the witan were chosen for their wisdom and experience, and were often drawn from the ranks of the nobility and the clergy.
- The witan was instrumental in shaping the laws and customs of Anglo-Saxon England, and many of its decisions had a lasting impact on the country's history.
- The witan was a highly respected institution that was held in high regard by the people of England, who saw it as a symbol of good governance and wise leadership.
- The witan continued to play a role in English politics well into the Middle Ages, although its powers and influence gradually diminished over time.
How much does witan score in a game of Scrabble?
Playing witan scores 8 points in a game of Scrabble. This assumes no use of double or triple word or letter multipliers, and no wildcards
How many points is witan worth in Words With Friends?
If you play the word witan in Words With Friends, it scores 9 points. Playing on a triple word score, this would be 27 points.
What's another way to say witan? What are its synonyms?
How else can you write witan? In our thesaurus we found there are 0 synonyms of witan.
How may anagrams can you make from witan?
There are 1 anagrams of witan. These include :
There are 1 anagrams of witan in total. See all anagrams of witan
What words can you unscramble using the letters in witan?
There are 38 words that can be unscrambled or created from the letters in witan. These include :all the words you can create from the letters in witan
What other words can be made from using the letters in witan?
There are 600 words that can be made from the letters in witan. These include :
There are 600 words that can be made from the letters in witan. See all words that can be made from the letters in witan